Tuesday, August 8, 2017

A Lost Art: Part Two by Ps Michael Podhaczky

In the previous blog, I spoke about how we can tend to talk too much instead of listening.Then I mentioned how we could get lost in the noise of the world around us. Sometimes we can be overwhelmed by the amount of babble that comes our way in a given day. A study conducted in 2008 has suggested that an average person devours as much as 100,000 words every day. However, if we now include a study from 2013 , things like social media and other electronic mediums have added another 54,000 words a day. This has become so bad that a phrase has been coined to refer to it:. “infobesity”. That is,
“The condition of continually consuming large amounts of information, especially when this has a negative effect on a person's well-being and ability to concentrate.”[1]
It has even been called the Gen Y infobesity epidemic.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not advocating for a ban on technology. I am simply asking in this day and age of electronic voices assaulting us, how we can rediscover the lost art of listening to God? That is, how do we as David says,
“For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him” (Ps 62:5 ESV).

Pause in His presence for a moment and think this over…

No comments:

Post a Comment