Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Senses by Ps Michael Podhaczky


I was sitting and watching the rain the other day and enjoying being present in the moment. It was so refreshing to watch, soothing to hear and pleasant to smell. If I had wanted to, I could have walked out into it and felt its acceptance of me and tasted its moist delights to include my five senses. But I was content at that time to embrace it with three senses.

Then I started thinking about how amazingly we have been created. We have senses that if we are honest, we totally take for granted. Then at that moment, I began to worship and thank our Heavenly Father for the way that He created us. How we could use our God-given senses to interact with His gift of rain. I thought about how fearfully and wonderfully we are made,
“I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well” (Ps 139:14 ESV).

This is an interesting verse as there are some things that do not come through in the English translations. For example, the phrase “praise You,” is the Hebrew word yadah pronounced ‘yaw-daw’ and mean to ‘throw,’ or ‘shoot.’ Therefore, the verb here can mean to throw or shoot praise to God the creator. While the verb ‘fearfully,’ yare  pronounced ‘yaw-ray,’ is awe or reverence.

Then there is the phrase “wonderfully complex,” which is palah pronounced ‘paw-law’ meaning ‘to be distinct, be separated,’ or ‘to be distinguished.’ Then there is the word “marvellous,” which is also palah, but it is a participle, so it translates as ‘be treated as different, or ‘extraordinary.’

So, what is all of this saying? Coming back to me sitting and watching the rain and interacting with some of my senses, it is an amazing gift. I had the privilege of throwing praise to God, as it demanded me being in awe of the God the creator because of His creation of us and our senses. That is because we are distinct and extraordinary, no two the same.

Pause in His presence for a moment and think this over

No comments:

Post a Comment