Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Mental Health - Part 1 by Ps Michael Podhaczky

There is an increase in wide-ranging mental health issues lately. It has actually been stated that, 
“In any given year 20% of the population is experiencing mental health issues, 45% in their lifetime.”[1]
I am not trained in this area, but I have suffered mental health issues and still feel the effects. So, I am aware of the need for those who are suffering to be able to get the right help and acceptance.

There is a huge need for the church to become better at helping those who are suffering. For the church over the past decades has either had its head in the sand, or employed simplistic and unrealistic fixes. Now do not get me wrong - I do believe that God can and does miraculously heal people with mental health issues. However, the norm is that the person will need medical and psychological help as well as spiritual help.

Anyone can suffer the devastating effects of mental illness, even Christ-followers. No one is immune, if they are not suffering themselves, they may have a family member or friend that is suffering. From a Christian perspective, it has sadly been said that,
“In our churches today, we often feel like we can’t talk about our problems.”[2]
But we need to be able to help people and not hurt or ridicule them for their mental health illness. It has rightly been said that,
“Treating mental illness as purely a spiritual disorder is very hurtful to those who struggle with mental illness because it points them to the wrong solution… In those moments, I don’t need to be told not to worry. I don’t need to be told to exercise more faith in the promises of God. I don’t need to be told to snap out of it. What I need is encouragement to persevere. I need to be reminded that, even in the midst of suffering, Jesus is near. I need to be reminded that my light and momentary afflictions are producing an eternal weight of glory. I need to be encouraged to press into Jesus.
And… I need to be connected to someone who can help me deal with the physical aspects of anxiety. Here’s the unfortunate reality: even if my thinking is biblical, faith-filled, and God-honouring, my physical symptoms of anxiety probably won’t go away. Why? Because most of the time the problem is primarily physical. Something isn’t working correctly in my brain, which in turn causes me to experience the physical symptoms of anxiety… If we’re going to effectively care for fellow Christians who struggle with mental illness, we need to recognize that mental illness is a real thing. We aren’t only souls. Rather, we are a complex composition of soul and body. Let’s make sure we address both the soul and the body.”[3]
In 2017 Mental Health Week will be 9-15 October, but why confine it to one week? Anytime is the perfect time to have an open discussion on mental health. People do not need to be cold shouldered or ridiculed during this time, but loved and accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment