Wednesday, December 13, 2017

In His Likeness and Image by Ps Michael Podhaczky

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I can forget that humanity is the result of divine purpose. I can tend to ride roughshod over those around me as I insist on my way and pushing my ideas. I can see myself as God’s special son, yet, from a biblical perspective, all of humanity has been created in God’s likeness and image, not just me Gen 1:26. This truth can (and should) help us to see the sanctity of life from God’s perspective.

We have no right to devalue, damage or destroy those made in God’s image and likeness. But since the fall of humanity (Genesis 3 and 4), we have done just that, beginning with Cain’s murder of Abel. In the Torah, it stated, “You must not murder” (Ex 20:13 NLT). Throughout history, mankind has continued to mistreat others.

Jesus Christ quoted this passage from Exodus as He pointed out that murder begins in the heart (Matt 5:21). He took things to a whole new level when He said:
“But I say if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell” (Matt 5:22 NLT).
In other words, we can murder someone in our hearts before we ever use our hands or a weapon. Those around us are made in God’s image and likeness. What gives us the right to devalue, damage or destroy anyone?


Pause in His presence for a moment and think this over… 

No comments:

Post a Comment