Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Who Are You? (Vocation) by Ps Michael Podhackzy


I read a blog recently on the issue of vocation. This is something dear to my heart. In it, the blogger pointed out that the,
“The deepest vocational question is not “What ought I to do with my life?” It is the more elemental and demanding “Who am I? What is my nature?”... [I believe we’ve got to get our own who right before we can begin to address the question of what am I to do.]
Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic selfhood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be. As we do so, we will not only find the joy that every human being seeks—we will also find our path of authentic service in the world. True vocation joins self and service, as Frederick Buechner asserts when he defines vocation as “the place where your deep gladness meets the world’s deep need.”[1]
In February 2017 I spoke on this very matter and asked the question “Who Are You?” This is an important road that we are all journeying down to find our God-given vocation.

Do you know what our Heavenly Father’s vocation of you is? Maybe you have not thought about this matter before, but it is important if we are to become who He has created us to be as we engage with the world around us. We are not a mistake or accident, but we are His beloved children lovingly created with His own gift to us, that is a vocation. This will vary from person to person, but it is who we are created to be.
David contemplating this matter said,
1 “O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me…13 For You formed my inward parts; You knitted me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. 17 How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! 18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with You” (Ps 139:1,13-18 NLT).
Pause in His presence for a moment and think this over




[1] Rohr, Richard. “Vocation.” https://cac.org/who-am-i-2018-05-28/ (4th June 2018).

No comments:

Post a Comment