Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Who Are You? (Vocation) Part 2 by Ps Michael Podhaczky


Vocation has nothing to do with what we have done or do, but who God has created us to be. This is what may be called our true vocation. So how do we think about our own vocation? What we do does not define who we have been created to be. It is our God-given vocation that counts and needs to define us. But what is our vocation to be able to think along these lines? What is vocation full stop?
It has nothing to do with our education or employment, but who God has called us to be. In fact, it has been said on the matter that,
“Vocation does not come from wilfulness. It comes from listening. I must listen to my life and try to understand what it is truly about-quite apart from what I would like it to be about-or my life will never represent anything real in the world, no matter how earnest my intentions. That insight is hidden in the word vocation itself, which is rooted in the Latin for ‘voice.’ Vocation does not mean a goal that I pursue. It means a calling that I hear… It comes from a voice ‘in here’ calling me to be the person I was born to be, to fulfil the original selfhood given me at birth by God.”[1]
It could be said that this is “the place where your deep gladness meets the world’s deep need.”[2] What has God our Heavenly Father spoken into us, when He created us? This was on the mind of the Psalmist, as was said in the previous blog,
13 “For You formed my inward parts; You knitted me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. 17 How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! 18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with You” (Ps 139:13-18 NLT).
Pause in His presence for a moment and think this over




[1] Palmer, Parker J. Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation. (Kindle Locations 76-79, 125-126). Kindle Edition.
[2] Rohr, Richard. “Vocation.” https://cac.org/who-am-i-2018-05-28/ (15th August 2018).

No comments:

Post a Comment